Thursday, March 19, 2009

Margo Spellman "Improvisation 1"


'I painted this on a Saturday afternoon listening and dancing to King Sunny Ade, who always makes me happy.  I had a blast!  It was part of a series of samples I was developing in preparation for teaching a group of volunteer parents who are joining me this month in teaching a local grade school about abstract expressionism and the work of Kandinsky.  I had to show them what the process would be, and simplify it enough to work for kids ages 6 and up.  I taught my first class last week to about 40 first graders and it brought me such joy to be with them for those precious 75 minutes.  Next week I tackle my nephew's 3rd grade class and can't wait to see what happens
Margo Spellman
50ish
"Improvisation  1"
Watercolor and Oil bar on Paper 9" x 12"
January, 2009